Adjunct Professor & Undergraduate Advisor
Ph.D.: University of St. Petersburg, Russia, 1981
Department Member Since: 1991
Dr. Kats came to CMU with more than twenty-five years of experience in undergraduate teaching. He teaches courses on comparative education, culture and society. As an advisor for History Majors and Minors, Kats stimulates the professional development of students and assists them in reaching their potential.
Kats' research interest is on the political, social and cultural history of Russia in the 20th century with a focus on the intelligentsia and education. He explores how the Russian state involves the intelligentsia in its own project of socialization, politicization, propaganda, and literacy. Centering on the study of teachers, Kats analyzes the broader process of the creation of a Russian intelligentsia.
- "The Figures of Russian Culture in the US: New Pages of Russian Immigration: Artists In Exile: How Refugees from Twentieth-Century War and Revolution Transformed the American Performing Arts". Harpercollins, 2008. (Review). - Novyi Istoricheskii Vestnik, Moscow, 2011, No 27, pp. 127-134.
- An Excerpt From the Practice of Intercultural Communication of the 20th Century: Russian Cultural Migration to the United States. - "Communication Strategies in the Age of Information." St. Petersburg Polytechnic University, 2011, pp. 107-117.
- Naum G. Kats, Polina Kats. "East Meets West: A Cross-Generational Analysis of Jewish Immigration from Russia to the United States," The Soviet and Post-Soviet Review, Volume 37, No 1, 2010, pp. 97-106
- Cross Cultural Communication: The Study of Russian Cultural Heritage in the Diaspora. - “Communication Strategies in the Age of Information,” St. Petersburg Polytechnic University, 2009, pp. 182-187.
- Book Review: Preserving Petersburg: History, Memory, Nostalgia / Edited by Helena Goscilo and Stephen M. Norris. Bloomington (Ind.): Indiana University Press, 2008.
- A New Publication in American Historiography on the Social History of Stalinist Terror: W. Goldman. Terror and Democracy in the Age of Stalin: The Social Dynamics of Repression. - Cambridge University Press, 2007 (Review). - Novyi Istoricheskii Vestnik, No 17, Moscow, 2008.
- Cultural Globalization in the Teaching of Architectural History of St. Petersburg for Undergraduate Students. - Informational and Educational Recourses for Teaching of Language and Culture. Moscow, 2007, pp. 52-54.
- Naum G. Kats, Polina, Kats. Discovery in California: Kiron Skinner, Annelise Anderson, Martin Anderson, editors. "Reagan, In his Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan That Reveal His Revolutionary Vision of America." - A Touchstone Book Published by Simon & Schuster, 1999. (Review). - Novyi Istoricheskii Vestnik, Moscow, 2003, No 1 (9), pp. 277-283.
- Naum G. Kats, Polina Kats. "Two Generation of Immigrants: Russian Jews in Pittsburgh." - Novyi Istoricheskii Vestnik, Moscow, 2002, No 7, pp. 29-39
- Teaching of the Freshman Seminar "Introduction to Russian Culture and Civilization." – Teaching and Learning About Language and Culture in a Target Surrounding. Moscow, 2001, pp. 45-46.
- The Sovietization of Teachers During The New Economic Policy. - Novyi Istoricheskii Vestnik, No 1, Moscow, 2001, pp. 115-136.
- Malia, Martin E. "Russia Under Western Eyes: From The Bronze Horseman To The Lenin Mausoleum." Cambr.(Mass.); London: Harvard University Press, 1999. (Review).- Novyi Istoriche skii Vestnik, No 2 , Moscow, 2001, pp. 308-317.
|World History (a lecture course)
|American Foreign Policy (1945-Present)
|Cold War in Documents and Film
|Freshman Seminar: Education and Society. Comparative Perspectives on the USA and Russia
|Freshman Seminar: Russian culture and Civilization
|Freshman Seminar: 19th & 20th Century Russia: Literature, Music, Art & the Theatre
|Arts in Pittsburgh
|Music and Society in Europe and the USA in 19th and 20th Centuries
|Educational Reform: Historical and Comparative Perspective
|Modern Soviet History
|Stalin and His Time
|Nationalities and New States of the Former USSR
|Russian (Elementary through Advanced)